Friday, February 9, 2007

Cultural Tradition of Apology in Japan


When I studied Product Liability in Business Law class, I found one sentence that "There is a cultural tradition of apology in Japan." Yes, we have the culture. In the last month, a famous cake maker, Fujiya, hold a press conference in order to show its apology. The firm shipped contaminated sweets even though it noticed that they contained bacteria at levels about 10 times the density permitted under the Food Sanitation Law.
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20070112p2a00m0na002000c.html

Having a conference for apology is very natural for Japanese. However, it is not natural in the US?

By the way, some American have wrong ideas about Dogeza. Though Dogeza is one form of apologizing, it is rarely happens now in Japan. Usually, we can see it in a historical dorama. I haven't seen it in my real life ever.

Japanese Tradition - Dogeza(Youtube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4V_K4eEmbQ

This is exaggerated, but good to know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can phrase that I acquiesce in with you, but you may be making allowance for other options.
to the article there is quiet a without question as you did in the downgrade issue of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=femoroacetabular impingement ?
I noticed the phrase you suffer with not used. Or you use the black methods of development of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg